Collegian Staff Report

Authors: Women’s golf opens spring season in California

Sunday afternoon the CSU women’s golf team teed off against 18 teams in Chula Vista, Calif., for their opening tournament of the spring season in the Aztec Spring Invitational, hosted by San Diego State.

The Rams come into the spring season off a strong fall season where they managed to finish in eighth, fifth, fourth, seventh, and 11th in their first five tournaments.

The teams were scheduled to tee off in the second round Monday morning at 7 a.m., but rain in the area suspended the second round.

The Rams concluded the first round Sunday afternoon sitting four strokes outside of the top 10, in 14th place.

After round one of the tournament, UC Irvine sits in first at one under par, San Jose State sits in a close second at par, San Francisco and Arkansas-Little Rock are tied for third place, shooting 5 over par, and Nebraska rounded out the top five, shooting 11 over par.

Hillary Packard of UC Irvine is the individual leader of the tournament by only one shot, with a four-under par performance in the first round.

Freshman Melissa Martin leads the Rams with a two over par in the first round. Martin’s performance currently places her tied for 19th in individual scoring among the 108 competitors.

Martin sits three strokes ahead of her teammate junior Kasey Claussen, who is currently tied for 40th.

Of the remaining Rams, freshman Brianna Espinoza shot six over par, senior Stefanie Ferguson finished seven over par, and Natalie Stone shot 11 over par.

The second round was scheduled to begin this morning. It is unknown if the final round of the Aztec Spring Invitational will conclude this afternoon or be rescheduled for Wednesday.

The tournament can be followed on GolfStat.com with live and current updates.