Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Revenge was sweet for the UNLV men’s basketball team Saturday evening as they topped Colorado State 89-70 in front of 13,500 fans at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Exactly one month prior to Saturday’s game, on Jan. 14, CSU upset the Runnin’ Rebels of UNLV 71-69 at Moby Arena to mark the first Mountain West Conference regular season victory for the Rams in 19 attempts.

Leading the way for UNLV (19-6, 7-4 MWC) was sophomore guard and University of Memphis transfer, Tre’von Willis, who led all scorers with 21 points. He also had a game-high six assists.

Despite the loss, the Rams (8-17, 3-8 MWC) did not play poorly. Marcus Walker had a big second half, which included a four-and-a-half minute run where he outscored the entire UNLV team 12-3. Walker finished with 18 points on the night to lead CSU.

CSU forwards Andre McFarland and Harvey Perry also played well for the Rams in their Las Vegas homecoming. McFarland and Perry both scored double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

Once again, the Rams fell victim to hot shooting by their opposition. The Runnin’ Rebels shot 54 percent from the field on the night with only eight turnovers while CSU shot 44 percent overall with 15 turnovers.

CSU returns to Moby Arena on Wednesday night to host the Utah Utes, who currently sit in first place in the MWC standings.