With a rebel yell

Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team (7-16, 2-8 MWC) is set to battle against the UNLV Lady Rebels (10-3, 3-7 MWC) Saturday afternoon for their second consecutive home game in Moby Arena.

The Rams have dropped five consecutive games in Mountain West Conference play, four of which have come down to the last seconds of play.

“I hope we can get our energy back for Saturday but after a game like Wednesday night that is when you hope your team can bounce back,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “We should have some confidence since we beat them the first time out.”

Wednesday night the Rams lost a heartbreaker to BYU after a missed layup attempt by senior forward Britney Minor that would have sent the game into overtime.

“We are just tired of losing. We are always close in games, losing by two, three or four. It is just time to get a win,” sophomore point guard Zoi Simmons said.

Despite the loss to BYU, the Rams continue to dominate free throw shooting. Wednesday night the Lady Cougars sent the Rams to the line 19 times and CSU connected on 15 of those shots.

In the past six games the Rams are averaging 76 percent from the free throw line.

“That is something they have been concentrating on more. We are trying to do more free throws in practice,” coach Holt said. “It is obvious that if you put more work into something, then it will pay off.”

UNLV comes into Saturday’s game off a loss to TCU 75-46 Tuesday night in Fort Worth, Texas.

On Jan. 14, senior captain Kandy Beemer led the Rams to a 70-69 defeat over the Lady Rebels. Beemer scored a career-high in that game with 25 points off of seven three-pointers.

“I am excited. I think we are going to work hard and run on them. We ran on them like crazy last time and it worked,” Beemer said. “It is later in the season, and I am sure they are better.”

UNLV went on an 8-0 run against the Rams with less than three minutes on the clock but a steal by senior forward Britney Minor with eight seconds to go sealed the victory for CSU.

Junior forward Juanise Cornell will begin Saturday’s game scoring in double digits in her past three games. Cornell has posted 30 points and 16 rebounds in her last three outings.

Freshman Meghan Heimstra has preformed quite well in her past four games. Before last night, Heimstra had started three consecutive games, where she totaled 31 points and 16 rebounds. Wednesday night Heimstra scored five total points when she went 5-6 from the free throw line.

“Every game that is coming up we are just going to go out there and play hard,” Simmons said.

During Saturday’s game, First National Bank will be holding a promotion for CSU students who attend the game. Students at the game will have an opportunity to win $50 or $100 just by showing their Ram Card.

If a student has a regular Ram Card student ID and they are selected as the winner by Cam, that person will receive $50 in Ram Cash which is deposited in their account. If the selected student has a Ram Card Plus (with a VISA symbol), they will receive $100 in Ram Cash deposited into their account.

The promotion will take place during one of the four media timeouts of the second half.

Tipoff for Saturday’s game is set for 2 p.m.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.