Letters to the editor

Support for student

BOG votes

Dear Colorado State Students and Faculty,

As a co-sponsor of House Bill 1177 and a member of the House Education Committee, I want to thank you for your involvement in this recent piece of legislation. Over the last week I received dozens of letters and e-mails about the bill from concerned CSU students.

HB 1177 would have given an elected student a vote on the CSU Board of Governors. To be consistent, I unsuccessfully ran a bill that would have granted voting rights to faculty on all our public higher education governing boards.

As a member of the House Education Committee, I always make education a high priority for all Coloradans. Over the last few years, higher education has faced many hardships due to funding shortages and increased demand; I have recognized these challenges and am working for change to improve Colorado’s universities.

This proposed legislation that directly affected students failed by one vote. I still support the bill and believe that the key stakeholders — students and faculty — need a seat at the table with a vote. You are the shareholders and your voices need to be heard.

Respectfully, I do not share the views of those who expressed opposition to the bill. I think that the students of CSU and especially Associated Students of CSU have demonstrated readiness for the responsibility of a vote on the board.

I will continue to work with you and my colleagues to make this goal of a full voting student member a reality.

Sincerely,

Rep. Karen Middleton

Colorado House District 42

Child abuse not

effective, necessary

Brian Lancaster’s article in the Collegian Wednesday condones child abuse. I was appalled at such an opinion and feel that this is the kind of attitude that is the root of our nation’s and world’s problems.

Discipline does not have to be violent in order to be effective. A child need not fear his or her parents in order to understand how to behave appropriately.

While I sympathize with Brian’s experience of being bitten by an unruly child and the parents laughing it off, that isn’t to say that to have beaten the child would have been the appropriate response, or would have necessarily even prevented the child’s actions in the first place.

Brian stated that his parents “spanked the hell out of” him and he “turned out great.” I have no respect for someone who cannot look at his own experiences/opinions and reflect that there might be another equally effective way of disciplining without resorting to violence.

There are millions of parents who raise well-behaved children without hitting them.

Has Brian really “turned out great?” Will he not continue the cycle of violence with his own children, thus beating the spirit out of them each time and, in turn, teaching them that violence is the way to solve problems?

Like I said, this attitude is what keeps the world from achieving real working solutions to all of our problems and peace with one another.

Heather Matthews

Academic Support Coordinator

Department of Psychology

Regarding Corn Syrup

While I agree with most of Ryan Nowell’s argument, I would educate him to do some more research into HFCS and industrial corn.

In one section of his article, he said that farmers are making a lot of money off of growing corn, even before the U.S. government subsidy. This is simply not true.

The farmers are the innocent ones here. It actually costs more to produce a bushel of corn than it sells for. Farmers barely break even after getting the subsidy.

We have a corn surplus in America because farmers are still trapped in the cycle of growing corn to meet the needs of the industrial food system we have built. We are not only in a health and environmental crisis with industrial corn; we are in a farm crisis.

Blaming farmers is not going to solve anything. We need to go after companies that are patenting genes, making pesticides that only go with their brand of seed, and using petroleum based fertilizers.

Charlotte Boney

Sophomore

English

Cartoon shows gender intolerance and homophobia

In the Feb. 9, edition of the Collegian, an offensive and intolerable cartoon was printed on the Comics page. The cartoon, titled “Repeat/Delete” depicted gender-phobia, homophobia and an extreme intolerance to transgendered people by showing a couple in bed, the man shocked and disgusted to learn his one-night stand had just completed her gender reassignment surgery.

This form of blatant intolerance should not be allowed in the Collegian, period. As a great institution of higher education, these obvious forms of homophobia and gender-phobia need to be squashed and an acceptance of all people — regardless of sexual orientation or gender — needs to be taught and should become the norm across campus.

I highly doubt the author would have drawn a cartoon poking fun at people with disabilities or those of a different ethnic background than himself.

Consistently the artist of this strip, Andrew Woods, has depicted women as helpless, stupid and incapable of successful relationships.

In his Feb. 6 cartoon, he attempts to make light of date rape on college campuses by having the male antagonist claim it was OK since the woman was drunk. He has also condoned stalking (Feb. 5) as an acceptable way of finding dates.

I hope the Collegian will terminate its contract with Andrew Woods and find a more tolerant and accepting cartoonist. Until then, my advertising dollars are going back to the Coloradoan and I hope other advertisers will make the move with me.

Amanda Koubek-Keller

Senior

Journalism major