Authors: Keith Robertson

The CSU swimming and diving team (8-4, 5-2 MWC) will be closing out the regular season today as they host Mountain West Conference rival Wyoming (11-3, 3-3 MWC) in their last meet before conference championships. The coaches say they will also be using this meet to evaluate the team and set the final roster for the championships.

The Rams are coming off their most recent victory against Denver and said they are excited to compete with a bitter rival for what may be the most important meet of the season.

“Everyone looks at meets a couple days before, but I think we’ve been preparing for this one all year long,” said junior Jen Muniz. “I just think we’re ready for them.”

The Wyoming squad should not be overlooked, however, as they have been on a recent hot streak. The Cowgirls recently went 3-0 in a San Diego road trip at the end of last month, beating San Diego State, Northern Colorado and UC-San Diego. In addition to the team’s winning streak, Wyoming always brings their A-game to rival meets.

“It’s our biggest rival meet,” said freshman Breann Fuller, whose brother swims for Wyoming. “We’re pretty evenly matched so it’s going to be a good meet. I expect them to bring their best.”

Wyoming also carries a slight psychological edge as last season in Wyoming, they “killed” CSU. And both teams are unlikely to forget the meeting.

“We didn’t swim that poorly, they just flat-out kicked our butts,” said head coach John Mattos. “We just want to prove we’re a better team than we were last year.”

If payback is not enough motivation, the Rams also have second place in the MWC on their minds. Currently the Rams are in third place behind Utah (11-1-1, 5-1-1 MWC), who are competing today against the only undefeated team in Mountain West meetings, BYU. A win would land Utah in second place entering the conference championships.

A CSU win and Utah loss would lock up second place for the Rams.

“My goal was to get top three out of the Mountain West, and getting second would be a huge stepping stone for us,” Muniz said. “I’d be really excited.”

Revenge and second place aside, there is already a reason to celebrate as tonight is also senior recognition night. They will be honoring the only two seniors on the team – Annsley Lujan and Stephanie Meyer, both of whom have worked hard to achieve goals set by themselves and their coaches.

The water will begin to splash at 5 p.m. tonight in the Moby pool.

Sports writer Keith Robertson can be reached at sports@collegian.com.