In 1619, a Dutch ship brought the nation’s first 20 slaves to the shores of the British colony in Jamestown, Virginia.

In June 1905, a group of activists organized by Black educator W.E.B. De Bois protested racial segregation at Niagra Falls and ultimately sparked the decades long Civil Rights Movement.

In 1926, Dr. Carter G. Woodson initiated “Negro History Week” during the second week in February. Celebration of the African American history was then extended to the entire month of February in 1976, the year of America’s bicentennial.

In the 1920’s there was an explosion of African American art, literature and music –known as the Harlem Renaissance — when musician Louis Armstrong, composer Duke Ellington and writer Claude McKay carved their names into the American memory.

In 1964, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared with a nation his dream of equality and an end to segregation –/a passion epitomized by the Civil Rights Movement and legitimized by the Civil Rights Act later signed by President Lyndon Johnson with no less than 75 pens.

In 1972, Shirley Chisholm became the first major party candidate and the first female presidential candidate in the U.S.

In 1989, Colin Powell was elected as the Secretary of State Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and became the first African American to hold the position.

And on Jan. 20, 2009, Barack Hussein Obama changed the course of history when he became the first black president of the United States.

CSU: Black History Month started Tuesday and we encourage you to take a minute, take an hour; take a day to appreciate a history that has shaped the course of the nation forever more.