Some Colorado lawmakers are getting their panties into a twist over a possibility that some Guantanamo detainees could be sent to our fair state.

Not in our backyard, they’re saying.

Obama, as one of his first orders of business, ordered the U.S. military prison in Cuba to be closed in the next year. That has many asking where the prisoners currently housed there will go when the prison is shut down.

The Obama administration has named Colorado’s Supermax prison as a facility that could house the Gitmo prisoners. Located southwest of Colorado Springs near Canon City in Florence, the federal facility – formally called Administrative Maximum – was built in 1995 specifically to incarcerate some of the nation’s worst criminals.

A petition is being circulated through Colorado legislature garnering opposition to the possibility of Gitmo prisoners landing in our backyard.

The closing of the Guantanamo Bay military prison will eliminate the pain it has caused the U.S., through numerous human rights violation cases, and ultimately is in line with Obama’s plan to hold the U.S. government accountable for its actions and to be more transparent.

Colorado Governor Bill Ritter has expressed his willingness to work with Obama if his administration thinks Supermax would be a good fit.

We’re siding with Ritter on this one. Supermax was built specifically for housing the worst of the worst and Gitmo needs to be shut down.

The “not in my backyard” mentality is a selfish one. As Americans, we are responsible to share some of our country’s burdens. Colorado has a facility that could work — so we say, yes, in our backyard.