Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

With only eight games remaining in the regular season and the slimmest of hope for a .500 season, it has become do or die time for the CSU Rams.

The Rams have reached the halfway point of the MWC season, and while improved from last year, the green and gold still has a long way to go before they are where they want to be.

The Rams (7-15) went 2-6 in the first round of conference play, posting losses in their last three conference match ups. CSU’s latest defeat came at the hands of San Diego State Saturday night at Moby Arena. Senior Lorrenzo Wade was impressive for the Aztecs, putting up a season-high 25 points as SDSU cruised to a 78-59 victory.

CSU guard Marcus Walker explained that the Rams have a lot of work to do in preparation for round two of conference play.

“We are going to go back, look at all the games and all the teams we played, pay attention to what we did good and bad and try to get better,” the senior said. “I don’t think there is going to be any miracles, but it’s a step from last year. That’s a good way to look at it.”

The Rams failed to win a single regular season conference game during the 2007 to 2008 season.

CSU is scheduled to have a week off before returning to conference play at home against Texas Christian. Along with giving his team a few days of rest, Ram’s head coach Tim

Miles hopes the break will give his team a chance to reflect on ways to improve.

“We have to get a rhythm and a flow, but more than anything I think it’s a self examination,” the second year Rams coach said. “We need to look in our heart; see what we are bringing to the table and why we had an effort like this.”

CSU will be returning to conference play with nearly a full lineup, as Walker and guard Harvey Perry have rejoined the Rams after missing time due to academic complications.

Although CSU still struggled in the duo’s return, Miles is confident Walker and Perry will make a difference.

“It changed our rotations and it changed our rhythm,” the former North Dakota State coach said. “It’s unfortunate, but they are good enough to work back in our rotation.”

Even though Walker isn’t happy with how his team is currently performing, the Kansas City native is determined to enjoy the second half of conference play.

“I’ve only got a month and a half until my college career is over,” he said. “I’m going to cherish every game and every practice. It’s just getting a lot harder knowing it’s coming to an end.”

Men’s basketball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.