Authors: Justin Warren

Today the CSU women’s basketball team (7-13, 2-5 MWC) heads to San Diego, Calif., to take on the SDSU Aztecs (13-5, 4-2 MWC) Saturday afternoon for their first match of a two-game road trip.

“If we do what the coaches say — play hard, make good, smart passes, and not have as many turnovers — I think we can keep up with them,” said freshman forward Meghan Heimstra, who is coming off a career performance Wednesday night.

Both the Rams and the Aztecs are coming off defeats Wednesday night, as CSU fell to New Mexico and TCU handed SDSU their second MWC loss of the season. Despite the loss Wednesday night, the Aztecs have won eight of their last 10 games.

“San Diego State is a quick team, the quickest team in all the league. They are going to look to get out in the passing lane and press us full court,” senior forward Britney Minor said.

The Rams, however, will begin Saturday’s game having lost six of their last 10 games and on a two-game losing streak in MWC play.

Wednesday night, the Rams once again found themselves down by 10 points with minimal time on the clock. For the second straight game, CSU attempted a comeback but fell short after pulling within three points.

The consecutive comeback attempts have given the Rams confidence to be able to post a comeback against any team they face.

“I think that we did draw some confidence from the comeback, knowing that that team (New Mexico) is as they have,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “They (New Mexico) have been in the top 25 and I think that gives us a lot of confidence.”

“We can beat any team in our conference and San Diego State is one of them,” Minor said.

Coach Holt will stay with the same starters that began Wednesday night’s game – Juanise Cornell, Britney Minor, Zoi Simmons, Meghan Heimstra, and senior captain Kandy Beemer. Because she’s battling bronchitis, the decision to start Beemer will be determined at game-time.

Minor is coming off her second consecutive double-digit game, having posted 21 points against Wyoming and 14 points against New Mexico.

“I am just trying not to think about it,” said Minor. “When I think too much is when I stand out on the perimeter and hold the ball and let the defense do whatever. I just try not to think about it and go out there and play. I mean, two games in a row is pretty good.”

Heimstra will get her second consecutive start after collecting a career-best 19 points and six rebounds Wednesday night.

“I am just excited to play some hard defense,” Heimstra said.

Simmons had an impressive outing last game with a near career-high eight rebounds, while scoring nine points.

Tipoff for Saturday’s game will be 3 p.m. MT.

Next up for the Rams will be the second matchup of the year against the TCU Horned Frogs in Fort Worth, Texas.

The Rams will not return to Moby Arena until Feb. 11, when they will host BYU.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.