Rams look to snap streak

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

One game away from the midpoint of the conference season, CSU men’s basketball head coach Tim Miles is looking for his team to gather momentum for a run in the upcoming MWC Tournament.

After dropping three of their last four games, the Rams (7-14, 2-5 MWC) have slid to near the bottom of the conference, but Miles can still see positive things to take into the final stretch of the season.

“We have shown a lot of resiliency,” the former North Dakota State coach said. “We didn’t always come out on top, but we fought hard and never gave up.”

The Rams are set to begin a conference run as they host the San Diego State Aztecs in Moby Arena Saturday evening. CSU will attempt to end a two-game losing streak, most recently stumbling against New Mexico, falling to the Lobos 68-50 in Albuquerque Thursday night.

Miles has been impressed with what he has seen from SDSU this season, calling the Aztecs the most talented team in the Mountain West Conference, but still thinks CSU can pull off an upset.

“We need to keep them off the boards and get good shot attempts,” Miles said. “If we can do that we have a chance, a real good chance.”

San Diego State (14-5, 4-2 MWC) enters the matchup on a hot streak. After winning seven of their last 10 games, the Aztecs have sky rocketed to second in the conference behind perennial powerhouse UNLV. SDSU is led by forward Kyle Spain, who is averaging 14.6 ppg while pulling down 4.9 rebounds.

Miles is impressed with the senior, explaining he should be considered a definite NBA prospect.

“He’s a long athletic guy and it’s hard to get to him,” he said. “He really shoots the three well.”

The Rams have lost seven straight games to the Aztecs, but Miles explained that CSU fans can play a big role in breaking that streak.

“We’re going to need our student fans to go crazy for us and help us out,” he said. “I think if we have a good energy in our environment our guys will really feed off of it.

We’re a young team and that’s something that I think gives them an extra boost.”

Tipoff of Saturday’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Men’s basketball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.