Rams fall to Aztecs

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Fighting the flu and fatigue, Lorenzo Wade had just enough to guide the San Diego State Aztecs (15-5 6-2) past the CSU Rams (7-15 2-6), handing the Rams their third straight loss.

Wade posted an individual season high for the Aztecs, dropping 25 points including 16 in the second half, and propelling SDSU to the 78-59 win. CSU shrunk the Aztec lead down to ten points mid way through the second half, but that’s as close as the game would get as the Aztecs cruised to the easy victory down the stretch.

CSU head coach Tim Miles, blamed the loss mainly on turnovers, explaining that they Rams to become stagnate.

“We can’t have that volume of turnovers and expect to win the game,” he said. “At the end of the day when you look at us tonight, I was extremely disappointed with our energy and our passion. We had a decent rhythm, but we didn’t play with the energy we needed.”

Senior guard Marcus Walker, who played in his first game in over a month, agreed with Miles and said it’s an area the Ram’s have to improve on in practice.

“We had 22 (turnovers) today,” he said. “You probably aren’t going to win any games in the Mountain West when you make 22 turnovers. We’ll just go into practice and do a lot of ball handling drills and work on toughness, a lot of what we didn’t do today.”

Walker was effective for CSU in his return, leading the Rams while going 5-11 from the field for a team high 12 points and three assists

Wade, who has put up four 20 point performances in his last five games, was surprised he played as well as he did.

“I didn’t expect to be able to play 36 minutes at all, just because of fatigue,” he said. “I guess once you get flowing it’s like you have been doing it forever.”

Miles was impressed with Wade, saying the Rams didn’t have anyone athletic enough to hang with the 6’6, 225 pounder.

“How bout that guy,” Miles said. “When he starts throwing up threes you have a problem on your hands. We just had no answer for him. He’s a player.”

With the loss, the Rams are now headed for a week off before heading to Texas to face the TCU Horned Frogs Feb. 7.

Mens Basketball beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com