As we see it, journalism is headed toward a Dark Age. As centuries-old newspapers close their doors and veteran protectors of written democracy are thrown out onto the streets of an increasingly virtual communication world, we’d just like to say, through all of it, that we’re proud we haven’t asked for a bailout.

And while journalists haven’t resorted to begging Congress to save our sinking ship –/kudos to us once again –/we are disappointed that impending fear and innate survival instincts have forced members of our kin against one another.

Wednesday, owners of The Denver Post said that if the Rocky Mountain News were sold, they would take control of the Denver Newspaper Agency –/the company co-owned by E.W. Scripps Co. and MediaNews that publishes both newspapers under a joint operating agreement — and publish only The Post.

If pending change, and possibly financial doom, were not bearing down on these two papers, would they be set on eliminating the other?

We think not.

Last night, 150 Rocky supporters gathered outside the Denver Newspaper Agency and each bore a single candle representing each one of the 150 years the Rocky Mountain News has printed the news for Coloradans and the nation.

It is images like this that we hope pull on the heart and purse strings –/of the Post owners; the executives at E.W. Scripps Co.,/heck, John Doe sitting at his table without his morning newspaper –/and motivate people to advocate for journalism and democracy’s survival.