Authors: Ariel SenaCavillo

Deliver Darfur, a Fort Collins-based non-profit clothing company, and several local bands will gather Saturday at Everyday Joe’s Coffee House in Old Town to raise awareness about the ongoing conflict in Sudan, Africa.

The organization, founded by CSU alumna and former Collegian photographer Rachel Robichaux and senior sports medicine major Carly Knauff, formed in 2007 to help educate the public about the African conflict, which has left millions of Darfur citizens murdered, raped, enslaved or displaced.

“We were like, ‘Oh my God, why don’t people know about this?'” Robichaux said.

Musicians Dan Craig, Young Coyotes, Bad Weather California and The Wheel will perform throughout the night in congruence with Deliver Darfur apparel sales and a silent auction to raise money for the International Rescue Committee.

An optional $10 donation will be collected at the door along with apparel ranging in prices from $5 to $15.

Through their events in the Denver and Fort Collins areas, they have raised more than $2,000 for the organization and hope to raise the same amount Saturday.

“This is bigger than just a few shirts,” Robichaux said.

Conflict arose in 2003 when rebels in the region clashed with the Sudanese government over rights issues.

These rebels, Justice and Equality Movement and the Sudan Liberation Army, do not support Janjaweed, whose origins are with Arabic-speaking nomadic tribes, who have been accused of war crimes.

“It’s like the Holocaust all over again,” Robichaux said.

Although both Robichaux and Knauff will be leaving Fort Collins soon, the two still plan on raising awareness through their Web site http://deliverdarfur.com.

The Deliver Darfur event at Everyday Joe’s will start at 7 p.m. and is located 144 S. Mason St.

Staff writer Ariel Sena-Cavillo can be reached at news@collegian.com.