Authors: Natasha Pepperl

To provide students with knowledge and insight needed to achieve financial success, CSU alumni and former corporate financial adviser Kyle Shelley will present the life skills he believes are essential today.

Shelley will give a free presentation, sponsored by the Associated Students of CSU, titled “Young-in-Debt-Change$” in the Lory Student Center Theater from 12:30 to 2 p.m.

Shelley said his presentation will offer “a young, unique and new way of understanding our finances.” He will discuss spending plans, credit scores, credit cards and how to graduate debt-free.

Shelley left his job as vice president of Cannon Financial Institute – where he trained financial advisors for top companies such as Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch – in order to found All in Education.

According to the company Web site, All in Education was created in order to “impart understanding of financial life skills to young adults around the nation.”

Now, he leads All in Education as its president and CEO.

Shelley said college degrees alone do not allow people to be successful and believes financial skills and knowledge are vital in this process. Through All in Education, he delivers practical financial information imperative in avoiding failure.

Believing students are growing “dumber and dumber when it comes to finances,” Shelley said, “There’s a void of financial life skill literacy.”

“Average college students graduate with over $300,000 dollars of credit card debt and $200,000 of student loans,” he said.

Shelley attributes this phenomenon to the way financial information is taught to students. He said his lectures are humorous and designed to evoke emotion.

“Our generation needs to be entertained if it has any effect on our life,” Shelley said.

ASCSU president Taylor Smoot said Shelley is giving his presentation for free. Smoot said Shelley commented, “(he’d) love to give back to (his) school.”

Shelley said he has seen former alumni struggle because of poor financial decisions they have made and does not want present students to repeat their mistakes. As a result, he plans to couple his credentials with his personal youth to deliver an engaging and helpful message.

Smoot said the event will be “really beneficial and educational” and full of “real life information.” He added that understanding finances is especially important in light of the recession.

“I recommend any student who can make it to make it,” Smoot said.

Staff writer Natasha Pepperl can be reached at news@collegian.com.