Buffs talk to Hilbert

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Long time CSU volleyball coach Tom Hilbert has been named as a potential candidate to fill the vacant University of Colorado head volleyball coaching position.

Sports information director John Manuszak confirmed that CSU has given Hilbert permission to talk to CU about the job opening. Manuszak also confirmed that CU had contacted the 12-year Ram coach.

Former CSU volleyball captain Mekana Barnes said she was shocked by the news.

“He (Hilbert) has been the face of the program for a long time and been one of the best coaches at CSU for awhile,” the former All-American said. “I won’t say if this is right or wrong and I’m not sure how much damage it would do.”

Ashley Fornstrom, a former setter for the Rams, explained she questioned how seriously Hilbert would take the interview with CU.

“I’m not surprised,” the Wyoming native said. “It is pretty general for coaches to interview other places. I think he really loves CSU and don’t think he’d leave it.”

Hilbert has enjoyed much success while at the helm of the Rams, leading CSU to the national tournament every year since arriving in Fort Collins. The Oklahoma native most recently guided the Rams to a 23-7 record, finishing the season ranked No. 24 in the nation.

Barnes wished Hilbert the best of luck in whatever he does, but said she worried most for her former teammates.

“I feel for them right now and how it will affect them,” she said. “That’s my main concern.”

Hilbert could not be reached for comment.

Stay tuned to collegian.com and collegiansports.com for further updates.

Sports reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com