Authors: Aaron Hedge, J. David McSwane

Former CSU President Larry Penley found a place among the top five contenders for the open president’s office at the University of Idaho this month, according to The Argonaut, U of I’s student newspaper.

Penley moves into the position right after he put his south-Fort Collins mansion up for sale and three months after he mysteriously resigned Nov. 4 amid a flurry of controversy about funding practices in upper administration under his tenure.

Penley said in a statement to the CSU System Board of Governors that he was leaving to pursue other opportunities in higher education leadership, but went three months before finding a job prospect.

The Idaho Board of Education started the search for the fourth time in the last six years, as the school churned through three presidents in the time that Penley led CSU.

The swift turnover at U of I started after an audit report found that former President Bob Hoover had approved loans for the university without notifying IBE, according to a report in the Idaho Statesman.

The school, which has a 12,000-student campus in Moscow, Idaho, is not giving preference to any of the candidates, according to the Fort Collins Now.

U of I student government leader Garrett Holbrook, who was on the IBE’s search committee, didn’t return calls Monday night for comment.

The Collegian was unable to reach Penley for comment.

Development Editor Aaron Hedge and Enterprise Editor J. David McSwane can be reached at news@collegian.com.