Authors: Jessica Cline

Questions dealing with the advantages and disadvantages of mail-in ballots will be addressed tonight from 7 to 8 p.m. in the City Council Chambers as a panel of community members and city officials invite inquiries and input from the public.

The panel, which runs as a part of the monthly forum CrossCurrents sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Larimer County, will follow how the panelists feel about mail-in ballots on both a state and local level, said panelist and community member Wanda Mayberry.

“It is important to talk about how Colorado votes and to make sure that the community is well informed about what is going on and what are all the benefits and consequences of having all mail-in ballots are,” said Jenny Flanagan, executive director of Colorado Common Cause.

The panelists include a variety of people, including Flanagan and Mayberry, along with Larimer County Clerk and Recorder Scott Doyle and Jenny Mark Shaffer, a Fort Collins attorney. Barbara Rutstein of the League of Women Voters will moderate the panel.

The community will be able to ask specific questions of the panel at the end of the discussion.

The panelists were asked not to prepare specific responses to the questions but will be answering based on their experiences and knowledge of each topic.

Doyle said he favors switching to all mail-in ballots on a local and state level because they make voting cheaper and easier.

“The pros of mail-in ballots are they save money by making voting cheaper with the skyrocketed price of elections, most voters already use mail-in ballots and they give voters an easier option because they take the complexity out of voting,” Doyle said.

The Fort Collins City Council Chambers are located on 300 East LaPorte Ave., and the panel will also be televised on Fort Collins Cable Channel 14. Audience members are being asked to arrive 10 to 15 minutes early, as the broadcast will begin at 7 p.m.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.