Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team (7-13, 2-5 MWC) lost their fifth conference game of the season last night against the New Mexico Lobos (16-3, 5-1 MWC) at home in Moby Arena.

The Rams attempted yet another second half come-back against a very good New Mexico team, but fell short in the final minute of play.

“I think as a coach, you are never totally satisfied because you see things like turnovers and fouls in inopportune times that hurt us,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “I am pleased with a lot of thing we did tonight and we are going to have to build off that.”

The Rams found themselves down by four points with 15 seconds left on the clock, but were forced to foul Eileen Weissmann of New Mexico. Weissmann connected on her two free throw attempts, finishing the game the leading scorer for the Lobos with 22 points and six steals.

The Lobos produced a 4-0 run against the Rams that put New Mexico at a comfortable lead with 1:30 left on the clock.

The Rams pulled to within three points after freshman Kim Mestdagh connected on a three-point shot that concluded an 8-0 run by CSU.

“We could keep up with them. We were down by three and we had turnovers and we didn’t get a board that we needed,” said freshman Meghan Heimstra who received her first start of the season for the Rams.

The second half of Wednesday night’s game was much like last Saturday’s game against the Wyoming Cowgirls, where CSU out-played their opponent statistically, but came up short at the end.

For the second consecutive game the Rams had an impressive second half, shooting 40 percent from the field and out-scoring their opponent 37-35.

The first half concluded with CSU down by ten points after a layup by Angela Hartill of New Mexico.

New Mexico dominated the first half, out-scoring the Rams 41-31 and connecting on four three pointers in the first 12 minutes of play.

For the first four minutes of the first half the Rams went five for five from the field that included jumpers by Juanise Cornell, Zoi Simmons, and a jumper and three-pointer from senior captain Kandy Beemer, who was battling bronchitis throughout the night.

Heimstra finished the game leading the Rams in scoring with 19 points and six rebounds.

“The thing that Meghan has always given us is energy. She is aggressive going to the basket and I am really happy with the way she played,” coach Holt said.

Heimstra received the start tonight from coach Holt after her effort from the past couple of games.

“I was really excited. I haven’t started since high school,” Heimstra said. “I am really proud of our girls. We all came out and did what the coaches asked. Just some little things we have to work on like getting the weak side rebounds and not letting them get threes.”

Britney Minor, who fouled out of the game with 38 seconds left on the clock, finished the game with 14 points and three rebounds. Minor’s 14 point performance is her second consecutive double digit game, as she scored 21 points against Wyoming.

Simmons did her part for the Rams tonight, finishing the game leader in rebounds. The 5-foot-6 sophomore point guard finished the game with a career high of eight rebounds.

“I just had to get out there and rebound because they were killing us on the boards,” said Simmons.

Next up for the Rams will be Saturday afternoon when CSU travels to San Diego to take on the San Diego State Aztecs.

Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. MT.

The Rams will not return to Moby Arena until Feb. 11, when they face the BYU Cougars for the second time this season.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.