Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team is set to do battle against rival Wyoming (8-9, 0-4 MWC) Saturday afternoon in Moby Arena.

The Rams enter Saturday’s game coming off of a big win against the Air Force Falcons last Tuesday night and sitting 2-3 in Mountain West Conference play.

“To beat Air Force and get another win in our conference and be 2-3 is really big,” said head coach Kristen Holt.

The Wyoming Cowgirls began the season at 8-5, but have since suffered four consecutive losses in conference play and now sit at the bottom of the MWC at 0-4.

“I feel as if they will come out hard and box us out,” said senior forward Amaka Uzomah. “I know they are going to come out fighting because we are 2-3 and they are 0-4 and they are going to want to win.”

Uzomah and Juanise Cornell completed Tuesday night’s game with 11 rebounds each. However, the Wyoming Cowgirls will make it tough for the Rams to have the same rebounding night with nine players standing over six feet, which is a slight height advantage.

“They are a big line up, and I think we will be undersized,” said coach Holt. “We will be quicker, but if we get into a game of shooting, they are going to win because they are good shooters.”

For the Rams, Carine Reimink will be active as she is back from an ankle sprain she suffered in practice a week ago and junior Alison Cheney will receive her fourth consecutive start for the Rams in the guard position.

“I am excited,” said Cheney about her fourth start. “If we control their (Wyoming) key players then we will be alright.”

The average scores for both teams is practically even, with the Cowgirls posting 56 points per game and the Rams scoring an average 51 points in their 18 games of the season.

If the Rams are able to pull off the victory in the Border War, they will end a seven game loosing streak against the Cowgirls and CSU will win two consecutive games for the second time this season.

“I think we have a shot at this,” Uzomah said. “We have been working hard during the break and we have the heart and the effort. We just have to take it all like it’s the last game.”

Next Wednesday, the Rams will take on the New Mexico Lobos (14-3, 3-1 MWC), ranked No. 23 in the nation, in Moby Arena.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.