Authors: Matt L. Stephens

For the first time in 20 attempts, the CSU men’s basketball team has won a Mountain West Conference regular season game as the Rams (6-11, 1-2 MWC) upset UNLV (13-4, 1-2) 71-69 in front of 2,757 screaming fans at Moby Arena Wednesday night.

The win ended a 19 game conference losing streak and is the first MWC victory for CSU’s second year head coach Tim Miles.

“We met after BYU and talked about heart and passion, I didn’t think I had seen that out of our guys,” said Miles after the game. “That’s really our trademark basketball . get after them. I thought we had a lot more energy and passion tonight.”

The game ultimately came down to play of Rams’ sophomore guard Adam Nigon who had a career game, scoring 11 points and collecting five steals.

With 15.7 seconds remaining and a one point CSU lead, Nigon went to the free throw line shooting the double bonus. After missing the first, the Broomfield native sank the second. UNLV quickly pushed the ball up the floor, but couldn’t get the layup to fall.

“I missed that first free throw and thought I blew it-I thought they were going to come down and hit a three,” said Nigon, a former walk-on. “But we held in there long enough to make some tough plays and secure it.”

Nigon also pulled down three rebounds.

Leading CSU in scoring was sophomore forward Any Ogide, who had 18 points and six rebounds.

Despite having a great personal performance, Ogide had to give the credit to Nigon.

“Adam did a lot, just collecting those loose balls and getting steals,” said Ogide. “He just does all the little things, that’s why we call him the ‘X-Factor.’ We needed that tonight.”

Now that the Rams have their first conference win of the season, thing don’t get any easier as CSU heads to Utah (11-6, 2-1) on Saturday. The Rams have not won in Salt Lake City since their overtime victory in 2006.

Thanks to GoldandGreenNews.com for contribution on this article