Authors: Elyse Jarvis

Interim CSU President Tony Frank announced this week that Rick Miranda, current dean of the college of natural sciences, will take up the position of interim CSU provost, effective after the holiday season.

Frank previously maintained the provost post prior to stepping into the role of interim CSU president upon former CSU President Larry Penley’s resignation on Nov. 5.

In a statement to campus colleagues, Frank thanked both Miranda and his competitor for the role, Sandy Woods, dean of the college of Engineering, for their willingness to step into the role during a period of “change and transition at our university.”

“(Miranda) has proven himself a thoughtful, collaborative academic leader with a great respect for the process of academic governance and a strong, personal commitment to students and the land-grant mission,” Frank said in an e-mail. “I believe he will do a fine job as interim provost.”

Miranda’s experience spans a 27-year tenure at CSU and includes roles as professor, chair of the Mathematics department and, currently, dean.

“This is my home,” Miranda said in public forum this month. “I care a lot about Colorado State; its successes and the successes of our interim president are important to me, and what motivates me is to do things well.”

At the meeting, Miranda said where and how best to make cuts must be an immediate discussion, as institutions of higher learning in Colorado, Frank has said, are almost certain to face cuts in funding from the state.

“I hope to make decisions in a very open and transparent way,” he said.

Taylor Smoot, student government president, said he believes Miranda will keep in line with a spirit of open communication with the students.

Frank’s permanent position within CSU depends on a decision from the CSU System Board of Governors, which must decide who will become the next permanent president of CSU-Fort Collins. Frank has said he is unsure whether he will return to the provost position.

News Managing Editor Elyse Jarvis can be reached at news@collegian.com.