Authors: Meghan Callahan

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.'”

These words spoken by Martin Luther King Jr. 45 years ago still resonate just as loudly in a society that is divided by as many diverse traits and feelings as you can count. Dr. King spoke of uniting and coming together as a people and rising above these divisions. Today we have the opportunity to carry on The Dream.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is on Monday, Jan. 19. It’s a time for celebration and recognizing the faults of the past and the great strides we’ve taken toward the future. It’s a time of remembrance and honor for those who have struggled and brought forth a better today and continue to work for a better tomorrow. It’s a time to think about the history that the United States made on Nov. 4 by electing its first black president.

The excitement of the election is not far past us, but it is so easy to forget the promises and commitments we made. It is critical that we not forget just what burdens lay ahead of us and our responsibility for past and future generations. When stepping into the future, it is important not to forget the strides that brought us to that great leap.

This year’s celebration’s theme is “A Time For Change” and that’s just what we should be focusing on.

There are ample opportunities for us to work for change and to see it in our daily lives. Reaching out to someone that you haven’t talked to before, joining a demonstration, or simply changing your attitude are great places to start.

A great change to make for the coming year is adjusting your winter break routine and coming back a day early to participate in the MLK celebrations.

What can you look forward to this year? Is it the community march when we get together and unite as one? Maybe it’s the speech by Dr. Denise Hall at 11:45 a.m. on Jan. 19 in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

Whatever it is, you can look forward to a great day of festivities. And one change that is taking place this year is switching the route for the march.

The route for the traditional one-mile community march will begin at 11 a.m. in Old Town Square and continue down College Ave. to Laurel St., before passing through the center of The Oval. The march will then continue west on Isotope Drive and end at the Student Center.

This provides the opportunity for more of the community and campus to be involved in the day’s event.

What changes will you make this year?

I encourage you to take time out to think about this and mark the day on your calendar. And if you take one thing from this, make it the excitement of change in the air. This is the time. “Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! From every mountainside, let freedom ring.”

Meghan Callahan is a junior political science major and the director of diversity and outreach for the Associated Students of CSU. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.