Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s basketball team returns home to Moby Arena to face off against the Northern Iowa Panthers (2-5) Sunday afternoon.

The Rams come into Sunday’s game having lost to a very good Montana team Wednesday night but are taking on a Northern Iowa team that is currently on a four-game losing streak.

The Rams continue to improve on some aspect of the game every week, but turnovers and a less-than-average field goal percentage continue to curse the team.

One feature of the game CSU continues to do well at is its rebounding from game to game, however the Rams did not rebound well in the first half against Montana.

“We weren’t very good on the boards in the first half and I challenged the team in the second half to try to get 15 offensive rebounds, which we finished one short of,” said head coach Kristen Holt after Wednesday night’s game. “We’re second in the conference in rebounding and if we want to be in any games, we have to rebound.”

The Rams have had a problem with consistency from the players this year, coach Holt explained.

“We have to take every opponent seriously,” said coach Holt. “We have to stay focused on the fact we are making improvements. We have to get Chatilla (Van Grinsven), Kim (Mestdagh), Kandy (Beemer), Britney (Minor),and Juanise (Cornell) doing all the things that are more consistently on a daily basis every night.”

One player who has been consistent over the past four games has been the freshman and Belgium native Kim Mestdagh.

Wednesday night Mestdagh had a career game with 20 points on 7-10 shooting.

“Each time I play I just get more used to the game,” said Mestdagh.

“That was a tremendous effort,” said coach Holt. “We’ve also even seen her step up from a leadership standpoint; she’s out there communicating and talking and that’s a really good thing.”

Over the past four games Mestdagh has compiled 48 total points, the most on the team over that stretch.

The Rams took Thursday off from practice and will resume practice tonight. CSU will be working on defense and offense while watching film on Northern Iowa.

“We have to be able to execute our offense and get quality shots,” said coach Holt. “That is something we are going to have to work on all year.”

The defensive play has not been consistent this season, which has not given the offense much momentum in games.

“Just mainly our defense should always convert into a good offense when we have good defense,” said sophomore guard Bonnie Barbee.

Tipoff for Sunday’s game is set for 12 p.m. and fans 18-years and under will receive free admission into Moby Arena.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.