Authors: Matt L. Stephens

Head coach Steve Fairchild wasn’t at practice on Thursday due to a New Mexico Bowl luncheon in Albuquerque, but it was business as usual for the CSU football team at the Moby practice fields.

Due to a three-year bowl drought, the Rams haven’t practiced this far into the season since 2005, but sophomore linebacker Ricky Brewer seemed fine with it.

“It has its advantages and disadvantages, but more advantages,” said the former Mullen Mustang. “It’s nice to play in the postseason, in a bowl game to look good for your school.”

According to junior wide receiver Dion Morton, a California native, this time of year is a little cold for his taste, but he’ll manage.

“It’s definitely cold out here, but we’re appreciative to be in this situation to be practicing right now,” said Morton. “It’s really a blessing whether you like practice or you don’t, it’s nice to be playing right now.”

Morton also added that he thought the offense was more sloppy than usual, but that could be due to Fairchild’s absence.

“I think it looked a little sloppy, that could be because coach Fairchild wasn’t here, he’s usually on top of that. We need to start picking it up, taking things a little more seriously, then we’ll be alright.”

Also back in action Thursday was senior linebacker Jeff Horinek who returned from his trip to New York City, as he was one of 15 finalists for the Draddy Award, which could be paralleled as the Heisman Trophy of academics.

“It was a good time, I got to stay at the Waldorf Astoria, I had a huge room and shared it with Quin Harris of Louisiana Tech, he’s a real good kid,” said the four year starter. “They fed us really good food and gave us some free time to check out the city.”

While the award was given to California Golden Bear center Alex Mack, Horinek and the thirteen other runner-up finalists will each receive an $18,000 post-graduate scholarship from the National Football Foundation for their efforts as student-athletes.

Sprortswriter Matt L. Stephens can be reached at sports@collegian.com.