Authors: kelly bleck

A five-story rendition of popular wizarding fairy tales by Beedle the Bard incorporates previous characters from the Harry Potter series.

“The Tales of Beedle the Bard” is a short book by J.K. Rowling, drawn off of an inference made in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” to a story by Beedle the Bard.

The explanation of the book is surreptitiously explained by Rowling in the introduction as a new translation by Hermione Granger. Rowling also inserts information from Albus Dumbledore, as he writes a short commentary on each story and the implications it had on the wizarding community.

Following the strains of the Harry Potter books, the stories give new insight into the wizarding community, and keep readers faithful to the terms and issues created by Rowling.

The stories again show the creativity and ingeniousness of Rowling’s mind. Her ability to create terms and stories out of thin air is simply amazing.

Despite the first impression of large print and large spacing, the book is not necessarily tuned toward younger readers. It is following the same lines as the Potter books once again, using an advanced vocabulary paired with the newly-created terms.

Each story is amusing and can be related back to some inference in a previous Potter book for those who have read the series. It is an amusing conglomeration and with help from Rowling’s footnotes on wizarding language, the stories can be understood by those who have not yet heard wizarding jargon.

The five stories include “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump” and “The Tale of the Three Brothers.”

Each story centers on a moral, like all children’s fairy tales, and the notes by Dumbledore help interpret that moral for readers.

In addition to the entertainment value of the book, Rowling added a little bonus. At the end there is a note that states the profits from the book go toward Children’s High Level Group.

CHLG was founded by Rowling and Members of European Parliament Baroness Emma Nicholson of Winterbourne to focus on education, health and welfare for children living in large institutions.

Along with the helping hand it is giving to children, “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” is a fun, quick read for those looking for a little more fuel to the Potter cauldron.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.