Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Often we take for granted our surrounding situations.

With winter now in full swing, days are becoming shorter and more often people are staying out past dark. And with finals just seven days away, people are cramming in the library until the late hours of the night.

In the wake of six assaults on Boulder women since Halloween, the Collegian would like to encourage all students and community members to take precautions to be safe when traversing around campus.

Now, people should not be afraid of walking across campus at night, but should be prepared and knowledgeable if a dangerous situation should occur.

According the CSU Police Department’s Web site, students should always be aware of their surroundings and always alert someone about suspicious activity. Trust your instincts; it is better to be safe than sorry.

Utilize the programs around you. RamRide and SafeWalk are designed to give people safe and non-judgmental transportation home.

Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to people handling your drink at the bar or a party to avoid party drugs. Avoid people who tailgate, or people who follow behind when entering a secure building like a residence hall.

And always remember to never go to a party alone, leave a party alone or walk alone.

Stay alert and be safe because the world needs our generation to do great things.