Authors: Kate Bennis

As the weather outside gets frightful, students are given new factors to consider when traveling from place to place.

Dan Ramse, an employee of Recylced Cycles, offered us his tips for biking through the winter season.

Q: How do you plan on getting around this winter?

A: By bike

Q: Why do you choose to bike rather than drive?

A: I don’t have a car. No, but even if I did have a car, in Fort Collins you can get around everywhere with a bike. It’s fun; it’s all a part of being happy and healthy.

Q: What are some good things to do in order to winter-proof your bike?

A: For a road bike, you can put wider tires with knobs that blow through the snow, and get nice fenders. Sometimes you have to walk, but for the most part you can ride all year. If it’s a steel frame you can protect the frame with a spray in the interior that seals the inside from corrosion and rust.

Q: What are the most common problems you’ve encountered while biking in the winter?

A: Mainly just slush and ice, but you get by. Worse comes to worse, if the traffic’s bad, you can just ride on the sidewalk, because it’s better to be safe than sorry. Fort Collins is a lot better to ride in comparison to a lot of other cities.

Q: What are some safety tips for biking during the winter?

A: It depends on how far you’re commuting. Wearing layers is probably the most important thing. Also be smart — if there’s heavy traffic on the road and it’s icy, it’s better to ride on the sidewalk or walk your bike. Otherwise it’s pretty safe to ride, you just have to use common sense.

Melissa Gunther, a sophomore business finance and accounting major, told the Collegian why she’s going to stick with her car this winter.

Q: How will you be getting around this winter?

A: By car

Q: Why do you choose to drive rather than bike?

A: Because it’s really cold outside, and I don’t do well in the cold weather, for one. It’s also more convenient for me to take my car if I have to go somewhere afterwards.

Q: What are some good things to do in order to winter-proof your car?

A: It’s a standard, so that makes it more safe. I have pretty good windshield wipers and I have snow tires on my car.

Q: What are the most common problems you’ve encountered while driving in the winter?

A: The ice, and the snow and ice on your car that you have to remove before you think about going somewhere.

Q: What are some safety tips for driving your car during the winter?

A: Drive slow; don’t speed everywhere. Pay attention! If you are sliding, don’t slam on the brakes — actually use the gas instead.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.