Authors: Justin Warren

Saturday afternoon the CSU women’s basketball team will be looking for a much needed win against in-state rival Northern Colorado in Moby Arena.

The UNC Bears come to Moby Arena at 3-2 on the season after a loss on the road to San Francisco last week. The Bears have only allowed an average of 68 points per game this season and are facing a struggling CSU offense that has only scored an average 62 points in their first six games.

“UNC is a good team and I know they are going to bring it,” said junior forward Juanise Cornell. “If we don’t start playing now, then I don’t know when we are going to start playing. I think this is our perfect opportunity to win.”

Wednesday night the Rams struggled from the field, shooting a season low field goal percentage of 30.4 percent.

“I think we are getting open shots, but we are just not hitting them,” said senior forward Britney Minor. “We got the shooters to hit the shots and we have to just suck it up and make those shots.”

Thursday night’s practice the Rams worked on passing the ball and pushing it up the floor, along with their five-on-five play in an attempt to improve their offensive performance.

“Offense is something we need to work on, but I think defensively we need to contain the ball and do our job,” said Cornell.

“I feel like we get better every day, but we are not winning,” said Minor. “We are a good team we just got to put it all together.”

One positive aspect of Wednesday night’s game was the performance of senior captain Kandy Beemer. Beemer scored 18 points, which her highest point-total of the season.

“Kandy did a nice job shooting the ball and we need her to do that,” Holt said. “I thought her floor game could have been better, and we need that leadership coming from her.”

The Rams are off to a slow start this year, sitting 1-5 after a loss to Denver Wednesday night.

So far this season the Rams have given up an average of 72 points a game on defense while also allowing a player from the opposing team to score 19 points or more in all six games.

A win for the Rams Saturday night will give them momentum as they will tie the number of wins the team experienced last season at two.

“A win would mean a lot, and it will mean we are going somewhere,” said Minor.

Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon in Moby Arena.

Saturday will be the “Pack the House” event where any fan wearing green will receive a $1 coupon for admission to the game.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.