Authors: kelly bleck

To sum it up in one word: disappointing. This is the reaction that the release of “Twilight” induced in many of those brave enough to venture out to view it.

With the rage over the book series, the movie was under pressure to generate all skills to live up to the expectations.

Sadly, the independent film production fell incredibly short of the necessities. With inaccurate casting, the movie immediately starts off on the wrong foot.

With such an acclaimed book series, the characters are put on pedestals. If they are cast wrong, the entire movie will go up in smoke for those who are watching out of loyalty to the book series.

There’s no denying that the overwhelming reaction over Edward Cullen, played by Rob Pattinson, is delighted exclamations of how attractive he is. But Pattinson does not meet the criteria author Stephanie Meyers outlines.

So in terms of a movie not based on a book, he is a very worthy candidate.

However, the movie continued with awkward pauses that, even if the viewer had no background knowledge of the conflicts within the book, the scenes left them cringing.

For example: When a character is saying she isn’t afraid, why does the actress look terrified? And when the vampire Edward can “smell” her blood, he does not cover his mouth and act like he’s about to be sick.

The actors seemed stressed and uncertain about how they were supposed to portray a certain emotion. One moment they’re supposed to be in love, but their expressions imply hatred and even disgust. This left audiences a little ruffled and in need of time to interpret.

Granted, those who read the books had a bit of a bias on what to expect and how the characters should react in each situation. But the movie itself was put together in an odd way, and the script seemed to try a little too hard to please.

It was a pairing of awkward, seemingly inexperienced actors who failed to portray the characters in the way written by Meyers. As actors individually they could do very well, but the pairing was a little off.

From a reader’s perspective, some situations were overdramatized while others, such as the main characters’ actual falling in love, are barely focused on.

The script was an odd mixture of experimental acting and odd phrasing paired with new camera angles and intense details.

There can be credit given to the director for trying to duplicate such a renowned book, but a pointer for the next movie: Read the book.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@col