Authors: kelly bleck

A six-day performance of “The Caucasian Chalk Circle” will begin tonight at the University Center for the Arts, presented by The Division of Dance and Theatre.

The play is the second and last performance of the semester following “The Distance From Here.” It will be running at 8 p.m. tonight through Dec. 13 with a matinee on Dec. 7 at 2 p.m. and no performance on Dec. 8.

“Chalk” is a story of a young peasant woman’s conflict over a child she has come to love. Written by Bertholt Brecht, the play is directed by artistic director Eric Prince with original music by student singer-songwriter Chris Nucci and faculty music director Bruce Burbank.

“The play is mostly done by students in the Division of Dance and Theatre,” said Jennifer Clary, director of marketing and publicity for the School of the Arts. “The auditions for the play were open to the public though, so anyone could have been involved.”

The production has not come to CSU before and was picked by the three professors who head the Division of Dance and Theatre.

“As a director, I’m truly excited to be staging CSU first production of ‘The Caucasian Chalk Circle,’ a popular masterpiece by Bertolt Brecht, the pioneering German playwright and great theatrical innovator,” Prince said in a press release. “With a cast of thrifty students performing more than 70 roles, plus musicians, singers and Asian Shadow Puppet Theater, it promises to be an epic play in more than one sense of the word and a thoroughly entertaining evening.”

The Theatre Division tries to schedule their plays according to what’s currently going on.

“They switched this one with the first, ‘The Distance From Here’ because this one has a happier ending,” Clary said. “It’s a little better to have a happy feeling around the holidays.”

Tickets are $7 for students, $16 for the public and $14 for seniors. Tickets are available at the Campus Box Office and online at www.csutix.com.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.