Authors: Tyler Okland

Tonight, students throughout CSU will sacrifice a night of sleep to raise money and awareness for the children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, who struggle daily to survive.

The program, Up ’til Dawn, will unite students of many backgrounds and disciplines in an endeavor to proceed with the charge of finding cures and aiding children with cancer.

Over the course of the night, in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom, participating students will write letters to relatives and friends containing slips that ask for donations to St. Jude’s Hospital.

“You just send them to anybody you know, and our goal is that each student will have 50 people to send to,” said Kristen Sjolund, director of public relations for Up ’til Dawn. “Basically, tonight, only students are allowed to come in and write their letters.”

Live radio coverage and videos about St. Jude’s will accompany the event, along with a raffle featuring prizes from local businesses. Also, students will be given vouchers to Uncle’s Pizza for food breaks during the night.

All funds donated will go to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization that accepts any child regardless of their ability to pay for health care.

“85 cents of every dollar goes to research and care for a child. And (St. Jude’s) accepts any child regardless of their ability to pay. So no family ever goes in there and gets turned away,” Sjolund said.

A representative from St. Jude’s will attend the event and give testimonials regarding experiences with the children who bravely fight cancer. St. Jude’s will also be providing resources such as letters and postage.

Staff writer Tyler Okland can be reached at news@collegian.com.