Authors: Sean Star

Forgive me for being a few days late.

But I know exactly what I’m thankful for this year.

The Bowl Championship Series. Yes, the BCS.

Yeah, it’s a shame that Texas won’t be going to the Big 12 Championship game despite having the same record and defeating the team that is going, Oklahoma.

And sure, a playoff is certainly long overdue-especially in a year like this in which a dozen teams have a semi-legitimate claim to play in the national championship.

Call me selfish, but I could care less.

The Rams are going to a bowl game for the first time in three years, and the BCS is a big reason why.

You see, after the final rankings are released next weekend, Utah will automatically qualify for a BCS bowl after an undefeated regular season. And so, every Mountain West team jumps up a spot to fill the void left by Utah.

This means the 6-6 Rams become the conference’s fourth-best team, instead of the fifth-best. And that means, barring a circumstance I’m unaware of, CSU is headed to the New Mexico Bowl Dec. 20.

Considering where this team was last year- possessing at one of time one of the longest losing streaks in the nation- that’s huge, and it’s largely thanks to the often-hated BCS.

Finishing the regular season .500 is one thing. Going to a bowl game is something entirely different.

It’s a tangible accomplishment.

It’s, as quarterback Billy Farris told the Collegian after defeating Wyoming, “really special.”

So special, that it turns Steve Fairchild from a great coach to a near savior.

So special, that it makes athletic director Paul Kowalczyk look like a genius for making a very unpopular coaching change last year.

So special, that it gives fans, coaches and players something to look forward to for an entire month.

But wait, that’s not it.

Yes, the BCS is a gift that keeps on giving- well at least to some.

Because of Utah’s inclusion in the BCS, every team in the Mountain West will receive some extra cash.

It’s a win-win.

If you also factor in the money the Rams will make from their bowl game, then it’s shaping up to be a jolly holiday season for the funding-deficient CSU Athletics Department.

To get an idea of how stoked the department is about the Rams’ bowl chances, just check its website, which boasted “The Rams are Bowl Eligible” in big, bold letters just hours after CSU defeated Wyoming last Saturday.

Forget Black Friday. This is a two-for-one deal that can’t be beat for anyone who bleeds green and gold.

So thanks, BCS.

A lot is wrong with you, just ask President-elect Barack Obama, who has abdicated for a playoff. But as far as the Rams are concerned, at least for this year, the BCS is just fine.

Sports columnist Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.