Murray State defeats Rams

Authors: Justin Warren

Saturday night the Rams’ women’s basketball team lost their fourth game of the year, 75-70, to the Murray State Racers (3-3) in the second day of the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational at Moby Arena.

Murray State was able to go on a 21-6 run over the final ten minutes of play to rally past CSU (1-4).

With eight missed field goals and three turnovers in the final five minutes of play by CSU, Murray Sate capitalized with a 6-0 run to end the game.

“I don’t know that our shot selections was very good (down the stretch),” said CSU head coach Kristen Holt. “I just think that our movement was not as good in the second half, and then our shot selection was not good.”

The twins Amber and Paige Guffey for the Racers had a great night against the Rams with Paige Guffey scoring 14 points and Amber Guffey putting up a dominating 36 point performance. They also ended the game with two crucial free throws apiece.

“She (Amber Guffey) is a good player,” coach Holt said. “She’s just smart, takes what you give her, and she can flat-out shoot. She’s just a very good all-around player.”

Amber Guffey compiled 21 points in the first half, as the Rams’ defense held her Murray State teammates 2 for 23 from the field in the first 20 minutes of play.

The Rams ended the first half with a 39-32 advantage over the Racers.

CSU pulled out to a 14 point lead at the 4:04 mark in the first half with Kandy Beemer, Bonnie Barbee and Kim Mestdagh all combining for four three-pointers in four minutes of play.

Mestdagh, making her first start for the injured Juanise Cornell, and Barbee lead the Rams in scoring with 12 points each while Beemer, Britney Minor and Meghan Heimstra all added nine points each.

Minor scored seven of her nine points from the free throw line, going 7-8, and Heimstra had her best game of the season with nine points, five rebounds and three blocked shots.

“Megan did a really nice job of being active, she just made things happen and that’s what we need,” added coach Holt.

In the other two games during the Thanksgiving break, the Rams went 1-1, picking up their first win of the year 69-60 against Idaho, but losing 64-53 to Valparaiso last Friday night in the first round of the Coors Rock Mountain Invitational.

The Rams host Denver (2-3), who is coming off a loss to Creighton Sunday afternoon, at 7 p. m. Wednesday in Moby Arena.

Staff writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.