Authors: Kate Bennis

Just weeks after his defeat of Sen. John McCain, President-elect Barack Obama has to officially announce six of his selections for his presidential cabinet.

Among the six, he expected to announce former opponent Sen. Hillary Clinton as his secretary of state.

The Collegian set out to discover students’ thoughts on her potential appointment.

Jason Dempsey, a sophomore business major, offered his thoughts on why Clinton is the right person for the job.

Q: Do you agree with president-elect Barack Obama’s potential decision to appoint Hillary Clinton as secretary of state?

A: Yes

Q: What problems do you think may arise in the future?

A: The only problem I could see is the power struggle, which is why she probably wasn’t chosen as the vice president. Other than that, she knows the world and has visited everywhere, so I’d say she’d be a good candidate. It’s a good place for her and she deserves it.

Q: What do you think Clinton will be able to contribute?

A: She has a lot of past experience in politics. She also has a lot of Democratic supporters — half the Democratic Party — and that will help, because support behind your government is always good.

Q: What do you think the Secretary of State should focus on during his or her time in office?

A: The economy, I think, is number one.

Aiden Montgomery, a freshman undeclared major, gave us his perspective on why Clinton is not the best pick.

Q: Do you agree with president-elect Barack Obama’s potential decision to appoint Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State?

A: No

A: I think Clinton could do badly, but a lot of people have high hopes for her because of her past experience. I don’t think Clinton will have to face any new issues that any other secretary of state hasn’t previously encountered.

A: She’s a strong icon in the Democratic Party and she’s a woman, which has negative and positive aspects. She’s a strong role model for women who want to get involved with politics. On the other hand, there are negative associations because in some other countries, women aren’t typically involved in politics, especially in the Middle East, because of their status in Islamic society.

Q: What do you think the secretary of state should focus on during his or her time in office?

A: You have to maintain diplomatic relations with other countries as previous successful secretaries of state have. One should maintain and engage talks with Iran and other Middle Eastern countries so we can avoid future conflicts.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.