Authors: Shelley Woll

Sonny Lubick might go down in history as one of the best coaches in Colorado, but he’s now working to achieve two more titles: philanthropist and restauranteur.

Following the Oct. 31 opening of his Sonny Lubick Steakhouse in the heart of Old Town at 115 S. College Ave., Lubick has raised $2,500 to go toward RAMSTRONG, an organization which helps fight cancer in Ram Country.

The organization, along with Poudre Valley Health System, provides financial assistance for local cancer survivors and their families.

To raise funds for the cause, Lubick hosted a three-night string of events for friends, family, investors and MVPs during which donated tips, proceeds from bar and dessert sales and guest donations went to RAMSTRONG.

RAMSTRONG was created after CSU tight ends coach Marc Lubick was diagnosed Rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare form of cancer that is thought to originate from skeletal muscle progenitor cells.

Inspired by Lance Armstrong’s LIVESTRONG foundation, Marc and his sister Michelle founded RAMSTRONG to help cancer survivors and their families with basic needs and payments, especially unforeseen ones such as “auto repairs, monthly bills for utilities and groceries, transportation to and from chemotherapy appointments, medical insurance premiums, prescription or lab co-pays, wigs and prosthetics and clothes after mastectomy,” according to their Web site.

“It’s pretty pricy going through cancer. Your bills can exceed about a half million a year, so we try to provide them with any financial support they need,” Marc Lubick said.

“There are tons of things (RAMSTRONG does), from paying for treatment to buying stocking caps for people going through chemo — anything they can do to make life easier for those people.”

More than 400 patrons came out to show their support for the restaurant and RAMSTRONG during the three-day benefit, including Fort Collins Mayor Doug Hutchinson, former mayor Ray Martinez, various city council members and many other prominent Fort Collins residents said Executive Chef and General Manager Toby Sheppard.

“We thought it would be a really nice way to celebrate the opening, and it was,” Sheppard said.

According to Marc Lubick, some of the money will hopefully be put toward a new cancer center in Fort Collins.

“We don’t have a cancer center yet in Fort Collins, and our main goal is to start raising money so people can get treated here instead of going to Minnesota, Arizona or even Denver,” he said.

Staff writer Shelley Woll can be reached at news@collegian.com.