On Monday, our European peers celebrated Students’ Day in remembrance and honor of the 1,200 students who were jailed and sent to concentration camps as a result of the Nazi invasion of Prague University in 1939.

In their eyes, the day commemorates those Czech students who died and who left their mark on history by protecting the liberties and freedoms university students still enjoy today –those rights that some take for granted.

Today we proclaim this day, the 18th of November, as Students’ Day in honor of all those American students in our nation’s history who tirelessly criticized and protested and questioned the actions of the government to bring about change.

Today we honor the hundreds of students at Columbia University in 1968 and Kent State University in 1970 that exercised their freedoms, and in some cases gave their lives, to protest and bring an end to the Vietnam War.

Today we honor the 16 African-American college students who led the Southern University Protest against segregation in the U.S. in March 1960. Those students were expelled from the university, their educations postponed in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement; it would not be until 50 long years before they were awarded honorary degrees.

Today we honor those students who advocate for increased student involvement in university spending and initiatives, who work to increase student involvement on all political levels, and who work to give students a voice in a world that believes we are apathetic and constantly reminds us we have nothing to say.

Today, let us celebrate as students.