Authors: Justin Warren

After winning their first two exhibition games against Adams State and Colorado Christian, the CSU women’s basketball team fell to the Wichita State Shockers on the road in overtime Saturday, 76-69.

Fatigue and foul trouble plagued the Rams at the end of regulation, which allowed Wichita State to dominate the Rams in overtime. CSU was without five players in the extra period.

“Our bench was not very deep and Bonnie Barbee and Kandy Beemer were put in positions they are not used to,” said head coach Kristen Holt. “We are going to have to keep working on the fatigue factor.”

The Rams put up just seven points in the five minutes of overtime play, with Carine Reimink and Juanise Cornell fouling out before the final seconds.

Marcy Sudbeck dominated under the basket with 11 total rebounds for the Shockers and Marisah Henderson finished the game with 26 points for Wichita State, including shooting 13 of 15 from the free throw line.

“You cannot put someone at the line that much,” said coach Holt. “She penetrated the first defender and then was getting fouled.”

The game was sent into overtime when senior guard Kandy Beemer, who played 40 minutes total, sank one of her two free throws to tie the game at 62, and at the other end of the court Carine Reimink blocked the final shot attempt for the Shockers.

It was a game that saw nine ties and 16 lead changes.

The Rams managed to keep the lead for a few minutes at the beginning of the second half until turnovers and traveling calls began troubling the team.

Around nine minutes left in the second half, the Rams were guilty of three consecutive traveling calls that allowed Wichita State to gain the lead back.

“We have to continue to work with the player to take care of the ball and eliminate those traveling calls,” said coach Holt. “We are going to have to work on fundamentals.”

The Shockers ended the first half in the lead by only one point over the Rams.

The first half of play was an aggressive performance by both teams with CSU and Wichita State, both in foul trouble and already in the double bonus by the 10 minute mark.

“You have to play solid defense without the fouling,” said coach Holt.

Free throw shooting could be credited with a Wichita State win and a CSU loss.

The Shockers sank most of the free throw attempts and the Rams struggled once again at the line.

CSU was forced to play without starting point guard Zoi Simmons for the game, who is suffering from a knee injury.

It was a last-minute decision for coach Holt to start Bonnie Beemer in Simmons’s position, who performed well with 16 points for the game.

Britney Minor also had a great game for the Rams with 16 points and seven rebounds.

However, even with a first game loss, coach Holt was still pleased with her team’s performance.

“We hung in there and at some times, played really good basketball,” said Holt. “I was happy with some of the things we did.”

Next Wednesday the Rams travel to Boulder to face off against in-state rivals, the Colorado Buffalos.

Women’s basketball beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.