Authors: Scott Callahan

The Rams men’s and women’s cross country teams both finished in seventh place in the Mountain Region Championship race this weekend at Collindale Golf Course. The finish does not qualify either team for the NCAA championship race on Nov. 24.

Though the women’s team did not finish high enough to continue their season, redshirt freshman Ellie Rastall showed the team a little success when she was named to the all-region team, the only Ram to do so.

Rastall finished in 12th place and was the first Ram to cross the finish line. She has been the team’s top finisher in every race this season. Her stellar performance all year may have been enough to earn her an individual at-large berth for the NCAA championship race.

“I thought Ellie ran great,” head coach Bryan Berryhill said in a written release. “I think she’ll actually make it in to the NCAA championships as an individual. As a redshirt freshman, to finish 12th is fantastic.”

The women’s 6k race ended with Texas Tech on top and New Mexico second, both earning automatic bids to the NCAA championship.

The men’s seventh place finish was much better than last year’s regional race where they finished in fourteenth place. Daniel Wallis finished first for the Rams in 33rd, followed closely by Jeremy Freed, who finished in 35th.

The men’s race ended with Colorado in first and Northern Arizona finishing second. Both teams will compete in the national championship race next week.

Cross country beat reporter Scott Callahan can be reached at sports@collegian.com.