Authors: Kate Bennis

Recently, CSU was rocked with former CSU President Larry Penley’s resignation from the university after five years of service.

In the aftermath, there has been much debate on campus surrounding the sudden announcement and the future of CSU.

The Collegian set out to capture some of this debate. Emily Jones, a sophomore open undeclared major, and Shane Ritchie, a junior art and engineering major, were kind enough to sit down and give us their thoughts.

/

//

Q: What was your first impression at the news of Dr. Penley’s resignation?

A: First, I was really shocked; then I was really suspicious. He didn’t give any information about why, and/it was so sudden./

/

Q: What do you think Penley’s greatest contribution to the university is?

A: I liked that he was pointing the university in the direction of becoming green. Turning the whole dining hall areas to be a lot more eco-friendly was really cool.

/

Q: What concerns you the most about his sudden resignation?

A: Mainly, I want to know why it was so sudden and quiet.

Q: What do you think should be the primary concern for our next university president?

A: I think we should bring the funding back to the university and not so much to the outreach programs. We should be focusing more on the academics.Q: What was your first impression at the news of Dr. Penley’s resignation?

A: I was kind of skeptical because the whole thing was starting to get put under fire for his administrative spending./

A: He made the administrative offices really nice — they’re a really lush environment now. My roommate works for the facilities and they were constantly doing work on the Administration Building.

/

A: The reasons behind his leave concern me; was he jumping the ship before it sank? He said that he’s going on to do bigger and better things, but how much bigger and better can you get? It doesn’t seem like it’s the whole story, and I’m very skeptical.

/

Q: What do you think should be the primary concern about our next university president?

A: The next president should be concerned about the students they have now and not just thinking about the university and recruiting new students.

/

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.