Authors: Madeline Novey

Daniel Price, a 20-year-old Fort Collins man who hit and killed a CSU staff member in July, plead guilty to vehicular homicide and careless driving in a plea agreement Friday.

Price waived his constitutional rights to plead not guilty and sit trial by a 12-member jury.

For count one, a Class 3 felony charge of vehicular homicide, Price faces a sentence of between four to 12 years to be served at the Colorado Department of Corrections, five years mandatory parole and up to a $750,000 fine.

For count three, a Class 1 traffic misdemeanor of careless driving resulting in death or injury, which Judge Blair said was the “proximate cause” of Rebecca Allen’s death, Price agreed to a stipulated sentence of two years of probation that he will serve consecutively with the other sentence.

The state dismissed count two, driving under the influence, because the elements of the DUI charge were included in the vehicular homicide charge.

Friends and family of Price and Allen were present at the disposition.

At the sentencing hearing scheduled for Jan. 16 at 1:30 p.m., Judge Jolene Blair, the Larimer County judge presiding over the case, will determine Price’s sentence. Members of the Allen and Price families will have an opportunity to speak at the hearing.

Linda Jensen, spokesperson for the D.A.’s office, said that Price is scheduled to go to a diagnostic center in Denver where experts will determine at which specific facility Price will serve his sentence. She said it is likely he will be sent to the Colorado Department of Corrections in Pueblo.

At about 5:20 a.m. on July 22, Price hit two bicyclists with his car from behind while driving on West Drake Road.

Rebecca Allen, an advisor in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was transported to Poudre Hospital where she later died of her injuries. Her friend, Jennifer Garvey, who sustained serious injuries, was treated at the Medical Center for the Rockies.

Members of the Price family did not wish to comment, and the Collegian did not contact members of the Allen family.

Assistant News Editor Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com