When the CSU Rams run out onto the field, court, or track this weekend, many of them will be doing so for the very last time. It’s senior weekend, Ram fans – a time to reflect on and appreciate all that our student athletes do to make Colorado State a top-notch place to go to school.

The Collegian editorial board would like to take this opportunity to thank this year’s fall class of senior athletes for all of the work that they have done during their time at this university and the moments they have given her fans. They have been the beginning of a new wave of athletic excellence that is coming to CSU.

Sure, many of our athletic teams have struggled to succeed in recent years. But when the football team storms Hughes Stadium for the last time this Saturday, they are doing so with a chance to earn a berth in the program’s first bowl game since 2005. When the volleyball team takes the court on Sunday against UNLV, they are doing so in the thick of a race for the top spot in the conference. In large part, we have the long hours, hard work, and dedication of this year’s seniors to thank for that.

The foundation that this year’s seniors have put down is going to carry our athletic department for years to come. Head football coach Steve Fairchild probably said it best when he spoke at his weekly press conference earlier this week.

“These seniors are a good group and Colorado State is going to miss them,” Fairchild said, “but they’ve done some good things so far this season to get us pointed back in the right direction. And we’ll move on from here.”