Authors: Kate Bennis

With finals just a few weeks away, students across campus are now finalizing their plans for Winter Break. Many students will be traveling home or going on trips, but some will be using their time off from classes to participate in the Alternative Winter Break program, which places CSU students at different service projects across the nation.

Mitch Trebesh, a senior communications Major, sat down with the Collegian and gave us the scoop on his plans for the break.

Q: Will you be participating in Alternative Winter Break this year?

A: Yes.

Q: Where will you be going and what do you plan on doing while you’re there?

A: I’m co-leading the Florida trip. We’re working with two different agencies, Camp Boggy Creek and Give Kids the World. Both work with terminally ill kids.

Q: Why did you choose to be a part of this program?

A: I’ve gone on a couple of the trips, and the experience to go outside my normal realm and to experience another environment and culture has been pretty phenomenal for me. When it came time to decide whether or not to be a leader, my previous experience and love for the program helped me to make my decision.

Q: Why do you think that other students should consider signing up for Alternative Winter Break?

A: The program can offer students the opportunity to immerse themselves in something that’s pretty selfless. Going outside of your comfort zone or realm of knowledge in a new environment is pretty rewarding, in addition to the experience just being amazingly fun.

Casey Noble, a sophomore business and equines science major, about her plans for Winter Break.

A: No.

Q: Is there any particular reason you chose not to participate in the program?

A: I had already planned on going back home to Pennsylvania for winter break.

Q: If you were staying in town, would you consider signing up?

A: Honestly I’d never heard about the opportunity before, but if it was an interesting trip I would definitely consider it.

Q: Does any type of service in particular interest you?

A: I was involved with Habitat for Humanity in high school and I volunteered at a vet clinic. I like working with animals, and there I was able to be around lots of pets and help the vet get ready for surgeries.

Q: If you could go anywhere or do anything on break, what would it be?

A: I sort of went on my dream vacation last year — I went to Switzerland for two weeks to ski. I sort of don’t think I could top that; maybe I’ll go back next year.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.