Authors: Madeline Novey

After the District Attorney’s office requested additional time, the Nov. 7 possible disposition for Daniel Price, a 20-year-old Fort Collins man who was arrested in July for vehicular homicide after he hit and killed a CSU staff member, was rescheduled for Nov. 14 at 2 p.m.

Joseph Gavaldon, a private criminal defense attorney hired by the Price family, said that the district attorney needs more time to resolve the case as it is still in the process of “negotiating.”

Gavaldon said that he could not discuss the nature of the case further.

Price was arrested for driving under the influence and for vehicular homicide after he hit Rebecca Allen, an adviser in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication.

On July 22, Price was driving on West Drake Road when he hit Allen and her friend, Jennifer Garvey, who were riding bicycles, from behind.

Allen was taken to Poudre Valley Hospital where she later died from her injuries. Garvey sustained serious injuries after being taken to the Medical Center of the Rockies.

While friends and co-workers who attended the brief Nov. 7 court hearing said that they are still grieving the “huge hole” Allen left in the CSU Journalism Department and in their lives, Christine Bartholomew, office manager of the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, said that she “(doesn’t) want to judge Mr. Price either.”

“I’m glad that (the case is) moving forward at the pace that it’s moving forward,” Bartholomew added.

Bartholomew said that individuals connected to Allen plan to submit impact statements to Judge Jolene Blair, the Larimer County judge presiding over Price’s case.

According to the Colorado State Judicial Branch Web site, “the Victim Impact Statement gives victims the opportunity to share with the Court how this offense has impacted them and what they would like to see happen regarding sentencing.”

“We really want them to understand how wonderful she was and how greatly she’s missed,” Bartholomew said.

Bartholomew said that the Journalism Department is working to raise $5,000 for a sculpture to be erected in Allen’s memory outside of Clark C, per many requests from students.

She said she wants the contracted artist to use recycled materials to craft the bicycle-inspired piece as a tribute to Allen’s active lifestyle.

“There isn’t anywhere here that we can go to remember her,” Bartholomew said, noting that Allen’s family is from Wisconsin. “We’d like to have something of beauty to remind us of her.”

In addition to the sculpture, the Journalism Department introduced the Rebecca Allen Memorial Scholarship, which will be paid for with money raised by the Journalism Department, friends and family and proceeds from a bike-in benefit held in Allen’s honor at the New Belgium Brewery in September.

Senior Reporter Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.