Authors: kelly bleck

After extreme snowboarding and skiing in the best powder across nine countries, Warren Miller once again brings to the screen a powerful cinematic exploration of winter.

Warren Miller’s 2008 Film Tour presents “Children of Winter,” the newest film in an ongoing saga. Showcased at the Lincoln Center tonight and tomorrow, the 59th annual World’s Largest Action Sports Film Tour continues.

“We [Outpost Sunsport], have brought the Warren Miller films to Fort Collins, for 26 years now,” owner of Outpost Sunsport Randy Morgan said. “We think it’s a great kickoff to the beginning of winter, the beginning of ski and snowboard season.”

Directed and produced by Max Bervy, “Children of Winter” follows world-class athletes who ski and snowboard as their career.

Traveling to Leadville and Silverton Mountain, as well as abroad in Japan, Austria, British Columbia and Iceland, the athletes traverse the deepest powder and most intense terrain available.

“The films are a nice blend of cinematography,” Morgan said. “A cross between a travelogue, great footage of skiing and snowboarding plus a little bit of comedy.”

The event has been close to sold out each year, and tickets for this year’s shows are available for $16 from Outsport Sunsport and the Lincoln Center Box Office. Along with the purchase of a ticket, attendees may receive a free lift ticket to Copper, Winter Park or Steamboat, redeemable online.

There will be four showings this weekend: Friday at 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. and Saturday at 6 and 9 p.m.

“Even though I don’t ski or snowboard, I’ve heard so much about the Warren Miller films that I feel like I have to see them,” sophomore Pete Svaldi said. “They seem to have a big effect on most people.”

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.