Authors: Madeline Novey

A hearing Friday for the 20-year-old Fort Collins man charged in the death of a CSU staffer has been delayed a week.

Daniel Price is charged with vehicular manslaughter and drunk driving in the July death of Rebecca Allen.

Plea negotiations are ongoing in the case and prosecutors needed additional time to reach a disposition, said Price’s lawyer Joseph Gavaldon.

Gavaldon said Friday at court that he could not discuss the nature of the case further. As of Friday, it is unknown which way Price will be pleading.

Price was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and vehicular homicide after he hit Allen, an adviser in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, on July 22.

Price was driving on West Drake Road when he hit Allen and a friend, who were riding bicycles, from behind.

Allen was taken to Poudre Valley Hospital where she later died from her injuries. Her friend survived.

While friends and co-workers who attended Friday’s hearing said that they are still grieving the “huge hole” Allen left in the department and in their lives, Christine Bartholomew, office manager of the department, said “I don’t want to judge Mr. Price either.”

“I’m glad that (the case is) moving forward at the pace that it’s moving forward,” Bartholomew added.

Bartholomew said that individuals connected to Allen plan to submit impact statements to Judge Jolene Blair, the Larimer County judge presiding over Price’s case.

According to the Colorado State Judicial Branch Web site, “the Victim Impact Statement gives victims the opportunity to share with the Court how this offense has impacted them and what they would like to see happen regarding sentencing.”

“We really want them to understand how wonderful she was, and how greatly she’s missed,” Bartholomew said.

After there was a great request from students honor Allen’s memory, Bartholomew said that the Journalism Department is working to raise $5,000 for a sculpture, which will be erected outside of the Clark C Building. She said she wants the contracted artist to use recycled materials to craft the bicycle-inspired piece as a tribute to Allen’s active lifestyle.

“There isn’t anywhere here that we can go to remember her,” Bartholomew said, noting that Allen’s family is from Wisconsin. “We’d like to have something of beauty to remind us of her.”

In addition to the sculpture, the Journalism Department introduced the Rebecca Allen Memorial Scholarship — which will be paid for with money raised by the Journalism Department, friends and family, and proceeds from a bike-in benefit held in Allen’s honor at the New Belgium Brewery in September.

Senior Reporter Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com