Authors: Jessica Cline

Student Leadership, Involvement & Community Engagement extended their Alternative Break program deadline to ensure student participation in each of its three annual service projects.

In its 10th year of the project, SLiCE pushed back its Oct. 22 deadline to make it a rolling deadline, hoping to fill the rest of the 20 to 25 spots by the first trip meeting Nov. 12, according to Alternative Breaks Coordinator Kate Quillin.

“We extended the deadlines because this year we extended the number of trips that are offered. So we have more room for people to be involved, and we want to fill all of the trips so as many people as possible can get the experience,” Quillin said.

Alternative Break affords students the opportunity to get involved in social issues and to learn by being immersed into a different culture, environment and socio-economic community.

“It is a fulfilling and affirming experience through providing service and meeting lots of great CSU students,” SLiCE Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator Jake Blumberg said. “Students get to understand issues what other communities face throughout the world, and that is something they can always keep.”

During Spring Break, SLiCE will be taking a group of approximately 130 students on 11 different trips around the U.S. and neighboring countries including: Achiote, Panama; Juarez, Mexico; New Orleans, La. and Washington, D.C., among others.

“The goal of the program is to give students an opportunity to serve and learn about world issues. Students come away with a deeper understanding of complexity of the issue,” SLiCE Assistant Director Jen Johnson said.

Each of the different trips supports a different cause depending on the area.

There are no specific qualifications needed to apply for the trips, and the application process is fairly simple, according to Blumberg.

“The application process and how open it is allows for a diverse set of students with lots of different backgrounds to come together and form a group that would not ordinarily come in contact,” Blumberg said.

The teams going on the trips have meetings before they leave to familiarize themselves with other volunteers and acquire general information on what to expect from the trips.

“The hard deadline was in place to get everyone on board and the teams set early so extending the deadline will mean people will miss out on some of the initial meetings and information,” Johnson said.

Applications and more information can be obtained in the SLiCE office or online at http://slce.colostate.edu under the Alternative Breaks link. Applications for the Eustis, Fla. Winter Break trip January 5 through 11 are still being accepted.

Staff writer Jessica Cline can be reached at news@collegian.com.