Authors: Brian Anthony

Several businesses and organizations on campus and the surrounding community will be holding Halloween events tonight for children and adults of all ages.

Here is a preview of the upcoming festivities for tonight. Children to trick-or-treat at the Lory Student Center. From 3:30-5:30 the Lory Student Center will be holding a trick-or-treat event, inviting children and adults from the community to take part in festivities. Several offices in the LSC will hand out treats to children and students, centering on a main theme of Dr. Seuss books.

Throughout the Student Center, offices will decorate according to the popular series of children’s books, including:

Greek Life: The Cat in the Hat

Student Leadership involvement and Community Engagement: How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Campus Activities: The Lorax

Copy Rite: Horton Hears a Who

Associated Students of CSU: Go Dog Go

Student Media: Bartholomew and the 500 Hats.

Students can enjoy some adult fun in Old Town. Zydecos Bar in Fort Collins will hold Halloween contests over the next two nights, judging Sexiest Costume and Best Costume tonight and the Best Group or Duo Contest and the Most Original Saturday night.

The first and second place winners for each category receive cash or compensation for their bar tabs.

Autumn Kehl, bartender at Zydecos said, “As many people as can stand on the bar usually participate. That’s how it usually goes.”

She added, “Zydecos will figure out some other way to do it.”

The bar has been holding the contest since it opened over nine years ago, judging the uniqueness of the costumes.

“(The uniqueness of costumes) just depends on the year. There’s a couple people that really get into it and try to win as much as they can,” Kehl said. The Drunken Monkey will also hold a Halloween contest, its third annual. Anyone in the bar will be eligible, and a staffer will comb the crowd asking for participants.

Manager Chase Northen said, “Maybe 20 will participate. Whoever is here; whoever is in the bar. We’ll have a sign-up sheet.”

First place will receive $300 cash, second will receive $100 cash and third place will receive a $50 bar tab.

Staff writer Brian Anthony can be reached at news@collegian.com.