Authors: Madeline Novey

Various CSU organizations will host the 26th annual POW WOW, in what officials said will bring awareness of Native American culture and celebrate traditions and the friendships forged between the diverse spectrum of attendants.

Officials are calling the POW WOW, a gathering of Native American and CSU community members that is free and open to the public, the “largest” event during Native American Month, which is celebrated in November.

Scheduled to take place on Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Main Ballroom of the Lory Student Center, it will feature Native American dance groups and dance competitions, traditional customs exhibitions, and award-winning host singing groups.

Officials said the event, which is sponsored by the CSU American Indian Science & Engineering Society and the Native American Student Association, among others, is designed “to bring about awareness of the culture and the Native American presence on campus,” said Deidra Newbrough, treasurer of AISES.

AISES officials said they expect members of Native American reservations in Wyoming, South Dakota and New Mexico to attend the celebration.

They also said that they were excited to bring the CSU, Fort Collins, Denver and reservation communities together to celebrate the Native American culture throughout the day-long event.

The long-celebrated POW WOW is scheduled to begin with a customary Gourd Dancing at 10:30 a.m., which serves as the introductory event to the Grand Entries at 1 and 7 p.m.

Both the event and the dinner, which will be served at 5 p.m. featuring classic Native American cuisine, are open and free to the public.

Last year, about 400 CSU community members, Fort Collins and Denver community members, and members of regional Native American tribes attended the event, compared with the 1,000 person-attendance that AISES estimated to attend on Saturday.

Senior Reporter Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.