Authors: Kelley Bruce Robinson

Inside the Lory Student Center, under a low-lit ambience, eight CSU musical organ students, along with professor Joel Bacon, will put on their third annual Halloween Organ Extravaganza tonight.

There will be two performances, one organ concert at 6 p.m. and one “double-header,” where Bacon and the organ students will accompany the silent film “The Phantom of the Opera.”

“Music is a powerful provocateur and organ music on Halloween is sure to conjure imaginative thrills and chills,” Bacon said in a press release.

“We want to have fun while exposing the community to the organ outside of a liturgical setting.”

Bacon, who has performed in Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland and Canada, has an artist diploma in organ from the Konservatorium der Sadt Wien in Vienna, Austria.

He also holds a Ph.D. in historical musicology through a joint degree program of Vienna’s University of Music and Performing Arts and the University of Vienna.

“[The concert] was the idea of CSU faculty Joel Bacon. Halloween Organ recitals are a tradition at many universities and CSU had never done one before two years ago,” Jennifer Clary, department of music marketing and publicity director, said.

“People associate Halloween with the loud, spooky sound of organ music so it is a perfect combination.”

Advanced purchase of tickets for the events is highly recommended. Although unconventional, the extravaganza has been surprisingly popular the last two years, Clary said.

“For the past two years the event was in the music building which held 200 people and we did three performances during the night and each one was sold out,” Clary said.

“[The LSC Theatre] holds 600 people. I expect the second show with the movie will sell out. The first show will probably be about half full.”

Although the venue change is untraditional to the organ performance, Clary was optimistic about the benefits of the LSC theatre performance.

“Because of the venue change, we are able to present a rare showing of the classic silent film ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ with live organ accompaniment,” she said.

“Presentations like this are quite rare.”

Tickets for both extravaganza performances can be purchased at the Campus Box Office in the LSC, online at www.csutix.com or by phone at 970-491-4849.

Tickets for the 6 p.m. concert costs $3 for CSU students and youth and $5 for adults.

The 8 p.m. silent film showing cost $5 for CSU students and youth and $8 for adults

Staff writer Kelley Bruce Robinson can be reached at verve@collegian.com.