Authors: Brian Lancaster

Well, after what has seemed to be a two-year campaign season, Election Day is just nearly here.

Now, obviously Nov. 4 is an important day for just that reason — you, the voter, can finally give your two cents about who you want running this nation as president, who you want representing you in the House and the Senate, who you want representing you in the State legislature and other local offices, etc.

But as always, there are more important things in life than politics, and Election Day is no different.

In fact, to thousands of Americans, Nov. 4 has an entirely different meaning, because, regardless of whether it comes on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November, it has always been a day to celebrate.

That’s right, I’m talking about birthdays, and it just so happens that if you look on my Facebook page (because lets face it, that is the only way anyone ever remembers anyone else’s birthday) you will see that Nov. 4 is in fact the date of my birth.

Now, I’m not expecting too much as far as presents go this year, because I have a feeling that your 22nd birthday really isn’t that big of a deal.

But to my family and friends who have asked what I want for my birthday I have one very simple request — get out there and vote (or you could always throw me twenty bucks, whatever works for you).

Aside from the fact that Election Day happens to be on my birthday this year, I think we all know how important this day really is to the country, and I look forward to seeing what future the American public chooses for the nation.

I also look forward to seeing how many students and young people get out there and vote — I really believe that we are going to represent ourselves strongly this time around.

You all know which way I hope the vote comes down, but I would rather have my guy lose and have students represent themselves than have my guy win with students having no say in the matter.

So yes, I will say it for the last time — get out there and vote early or vote on Election Day.

With that said, there are a few things I would like to point out before Election Day is actually upon us.

First of all, I have to admit: It was nice to see a presidential candidate show up at CSU only days before the election.

Not only does that put CSU on the national stage, but it also puts students in the national spotlight. Plus, I heard that those who were able to touch Obama’s coattail were actually cured of the common cold, lingering injuries and even cancer — who knew that one man could do so much good?

He may be able to cure cancer, but he is still not president of the U.S., so to you Obama supporters out there, don’t get too cocky, it ain’t over till its over, especially in politics.

Need I remind you of the famous picture of President Truman holding the “Chicago Daily Tribune” over his head on the day of his victory?

And to you conservatives out there concerned that Obama already has it in the bag, hold out just a little while longer, this election is going to be much closer than the polls are showing right now, so don’t give up the faith just yet.

Finally, to all of you who are still unsure of whom to vote for, don’t listen to the attack ads (on either side), but do the research yourself and as I have said all along, I am confident you will make the right decision.

Election Day is finally upon us, don’t waste it, CSU.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.